Chhattisgarh naxal attack: ‘400 Maoists ambushed security personnel from three sides’ | India News – Times of India

NEW DELHI: A big group of practically 400 Maoists had ambushed security personnel who had been deployed within the forests of Chhattisgarh for a serious anti-Naxalite operation, PTI reported quoting official sources.
At least 22 personnel have misplaced their lives and several other others injured within the lethal ambush, the second main Maoist assault in 10 days.
Union residence minister Amit Shah stated the precise quantity of casualties is but to be ascertained.

Sources stated {that a} contingent of about 1,500 troops drawn from CRPF‘S specialised jungle warfare unit CoBRA, some groups from its common battalions, a unit of its Bastariya battalion, the Chhattisgarh Police affiliated District Reserve Guard (DRG) and others had launched a search and destroy operation alongside the border of Bijapur-Sukma district round Saturday midday after they acquired inputs of some Maoists presence within the space.
They had been ambushed by 400 Maoists – led by most wished Maoist commander and chief of the so-known as ‘People’s Liberation Guerrilla Army(PLGA) battalion no 1 – Hidma – alongside along with his associates, sources stated.
An encounter broke out between the Maoists and security forces which went on for greater than 5 hours.
The Maoists rained bullets from gentle machine weapons (LMGs) and used low-depth improvised explosive units (IEDs) to mount the assault.
An officer advised PTI that the Maoists carried their useless, estimated to be about 10-12, on tractor trolleys.
“Inputs were received that Naxals were undertaking their Tactical Counter Offensive Campaign (TCOC) campaign in the Jagargunda-Jongaguda-Tarrem axis, and hence security forces teams from six camps were deputed to intercept them.
“The Maoists drew the forces into an ambush with heavy gunfire quickly after, and helicopter sorties had been requisitioned to evacuate the injured personnel,” a senior security officer told PTI.
He said the Maoists encircled the security personnel from three sides and a heavy gun-battle ensued in the jungles which are devoid of any foliage at present.
Another officer posted in Chhattisgarh said the operation was being monitored by two Inspector General (IG) rank officers of the state police and the Central Reserve Police Force from Jagdalpur in Bastar.
“The rescue choppers couldn’t land within the ambush space round 2 PM once they had been despatched for a casualty evacuation mission as a heavy trade of firing was happening. The helicopter landed solely round 5 PM to choose up the casualties,” another officer said.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi took to Twitter to condole the death of security personnel.
“My ideas are with the households of these martyred whereas preventing Maoists in Chhattisgarh. The sacrifices of the courageous martyrs won’t ever be forgotten. May the injured get better on the earliest.” Modi said in a tweet.
Union home minister Amit Shah said a befitting reply will be given to the Maoist attack in Chhatisgarh at an appropriate time.
“Our securitymen have misplaced their lives, we is not going to tolerate this bloodshed and a befitting reply might be given at an applicable time,” he said.
(With inputs from PTI)

Source link

#Chhattisgarh #naxal #assault #Maoists #ambushed #security #personnel #sides #India #News #Times #India

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Stay Connected

3,000FansLike
1,200FollowersFollow
- Advertisement -

Latest Articles

%d bloggers like this: